In 1653, Jeffrey Ferris, age 43, purchased Elizabeth Winthrop Feake's "manor," including all her lands and the homestead (which was the first house in Greenwich, built in 1640).
The homestead and lands, called "Elizabeth's Neck," included the land now known as Greenwich Point.
Jeffrey Ferris died in 1666 at age 56.
Upon his death, Ferris' lands and homestead passed to his sons, and the homestead was occupied and used by Ferris' youngest son, James.
In 1688, the Jeffrey Ferris property was finally partitioned among his sons, with James taking title to the homestead/home lot.
In 1689-1690, James substantially rebuilt the house, which stands intact today.
In 2015, a dendrochronology analysis dated the existing house to 1689-1690.
The Ferris House is thought to have been damaged by British cannon fire during the Revolutionary War, and repaired using the original timbers.
There were early 20th century modifications to the Ferris House, which will be removed during the restoration.
Going forward, the GPC will manage limited public tours of the Ferris House (two weekends per year.)